Thursday 5 May 2011

Election Fever or Flop?

It's not only the weather that's giving me mixed messages today. I've found it very hard to gauge the general atmosphere towards the elections today...

I woke up to a grey sky and switched onto BBC Breakfast to be told about fruit orchards and some new films and TV dramas. I checked my twitter feed, and by 10ish it sounded like Polling Stations across the country had been very empty. Nevertheless, the sun was trying to break through the clouds and I made my commute to work.

In the office, there was zero mention of local elections or the referendum all day.

By the time I was commuting home it had rained and it wasn't only the atmosphere in the clouds which changed. My twitter feed was tweeting tweets suggesting attendance at polling stations was on the up. It didn't seem so at my local station as I walked past though.

Then it chucked it down around half 5 in the afternoon. As soon as the rain cleared, I thought I'd go have a look at my station again, and to my surprise there was a small queue inside and a fairly steady flow of voters young and old trickling in and out the station like the summer rain trickling off the nearby leaves.

Now, I wait anxiously like many others in Stoke-on-Trent to see if it tongiht will bring us 'shephard's delight' or a heavy thuderstorm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but keep it clean please!